Hackney Cypriot Association has been operating in Hackney for 40 years, uniquely offering support and empowerment to both Greek and Turkish Cypriots providing a consistent approach to a Cypriot community cohesion and developmental need. HCA was set up in 1976 and moved to our current centre in 1982. From the outset its main principle was to work with the whole of the Cypriot community working or living in Hackney, despite the calamity of the division that still exists in Cyprus. Greek and Turkish speaking Cypriots represent some 98% of our community. The same principle applies to date despite the challenging times of past and present history of the island.Over the years the association employed both Greek and Turkish speaking staff and volunteers and this mix has been reflected in the Management of the Association. Our work cantered on the advancement of education, protection of health and relief of poverty and sickness, recreational facilities to improve the living conditions of our community, outings, exhibitions, “return to our roots” reminiscing seminars, large traditional fundraising events, such as a Dinner and Dance. The three days a week Luncheon Club, and the Advice Service are the main current activities of the Association. The feedback from our users has shaped our plans for further activities and events, as the bookshop cafe and library, more excursions, extension of the advice work to reflect the needs of our elderly community, plans for involving our members in shaping the health and wellbeing programme of our Association, fuel poverty and “managing your money, if you have any!” We also plan a regular evening to attract younger people into the life of the Association, a group where the majority of our volunteers have traditionally come from.
- To create a sense of unity and purpose between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot Community and to maintain and promote the Cypriot culture and work within the multicultural society and understand the different cultural values of other Hackney communities
- Promote the health and well-being and independent living skills for all people of our community living in Hackney, by providing support, linguistic and other help in such areas as personal finance, housing queries, education, welfare rights, immigration and employment
- To work proactively with other organisations in Hackney to achieve such aims
- To encourage our community to participate in regular volunteering and other training opportunities for those who wish to get involved.
- To develop and promote educational activities with the aim of supporting more recent arrivals in integrating within the wider community